As the cast pieces come out of these molds, they are open and unfinished on the wide end, so I made disk pieces to close them up. I make these elements separately, and join them at the "leather hard" stage, when the clay is still a bit pliable, but can stand gentle handling. This lead me to leave some disks on their own, which became part of the stacked elements, to which I added spacers. By graduating the disk diameters, they are arranged to imply cone shapes, while adding some breathing room and surface interest.
To figure out the arrangements of the elements, and to decide how many of each element I would need for a sculpture, I first made sketches on paper, and then realized this could be done far better with a font. So I made a font with a different sculpture element in each keyboard character, with which I can type out, repeat and recombine them, rearranging the same elements into various compositions.